RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

7/05/2011

ALFRESCO

We've had some good weather recently.  On Wednesday afternoon, I walked out of the offices where I work and decided to drive home alfresco.  It occurred to me that on most work days, I only spend enough time outside to walk from my house to the car, the car to the office, the office to the car, etc. That makes eight quick gulps of fresh air a day...ridiculous.  I turned off the air conditioner, rolled down all four windows and headed home.  It had been a long time since I had done that.  It was a little warm, (91F outside) and a little loud (maybe very loud) but I loved it. I know why I don't do it regularly but I think I'm going to make a concerted effort to roll down the windows more often.

While my hair was blowing in the wind, I got to thinking about how we all really live in a bubble any more.  Not only the car but the house stays pretty will buttoned up most of the year.  Not only that but our bodies.  Every work day, I cover most of my body with clothing.  Some parts I cover with two sets of clothing...silly, isn't it.  Then there is my feet...they not only have clothing over them but a hard or semi-hard protector on top of that.  It doesn't stop there.  I coat my teeth with a decay preventative every day.  I coat my face with a lotion that blocks sun rays every day.  Not much of me is exposed to the fresh air.  If you think I'm going to make a pitch for nudism, you're wrong.  I'm way too old for that...or maybe, too uptight.  In any case, enjoy the outdoor air as much as you can for as long as you have it.
:o)

No comments: