RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/12/2011

WORDS

Of course, I love words.  I was thinking the other day about great words that I seldom, maybe never, use.  What a waste.  I feel like I should be using ALL the good words.

Here's one.  Noble.  It's a perfectly good word.  It can be a noun or an adjective.  As a noun it means a person of high rank, an aristocrat.  The English have nobles, we do not.  As an adjective, it means highly regarded; possessing good qualities; pure.  Abraham Lincoln made an adverb out of it in his Gettysburg Address. Almost everyone knows roughly what it means but it is very seldom used.  It seems like I've heard it used with the word cause; as in "It was a noble cause" but that's about it.  I'm making up my mind right now to start using the word noble;  I'm going to use it every day for the next week.  Why don't you?

:-)   

No comments: