RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

1/17/2013

MUSIC

When I grew up, we had a radio and eventually a record player.  We stepped up to a hi-fi console when I was a teen.  We had a few 78 rpm plastic records to start.  They were easily breakable as I remember.  Then came the vinyl 33-1/3 rpm records produced at that time.  The record player had a dial to change from one speed to the other.  For the 45 rpm single records, we had a round plastic adapter to slip over the spindle.  You could stack five or six records on the spindle and it would drop them into place one after the other (if it was working right). 

These are the 33-1/3 records I remember most.  Number 1, The Mills Brothers.  Number 2, The Ink Spots.  Number 3, Frank Sinatra.  Number 4, Nat King Cole.  Number 5, a minstrel recording including jokes.  Later on, we had a few recordings of Broadway musicals.  We never had too many.  I knew every word of every song.
:-)

No comments: