RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/05/2015

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, the number one medicine for scrapes and cuts was Merthiolate.  That is the trade name of an anti-fungal and antiseptic manufactured by Eli Lily.   It was our main medicine.  It hurt like Hell.  It contained mercury and that's why you don't see it these days.

Not only did we use medicine made with mercury on open wounds, we put mercury in our paint in the house. This allowed young children to chew on the base boards and doors and ingest more mercury.

If we ever went to a dentist, we got it right in the mouth.  Dentists traditionally used mercury to make fillings to place in cavities.  Our dentist let me play with some mercury while I was there.

And, to top it off, during lent on Fridays we always ate Mrs Paul's Fish Sticks which reportedly contained more mercury.  How did I ever live this long?

The medical literature I have, lists the following as some of the symptoms of mercury poisoning.
  • Peripheral vision impairment
  • Mood swings, nervousness and irritability
  • Tremors, muscle twitching
  • Loss of coordination
  • Decreased cognitive functions
Could this be my problem?
O.O


No comments: