RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/30/2016

STREETCARS

Cincinnati is almost ready to put their new street cars in operation.  They will run a short route through the central down-town area - taking customers on a loop from the riverfront to the "Over-the-Rhine" area.  

It all seemed like a stupid idea to me and most of my friends.  Of course, they're all old like me.  

The numbers just didn't work.  There was no way to pay for it and maintain it.   Proponents claimed that it would be a great drawing attraction for new businesses.  This seemed to me like it might be great for a few but not the city as a whole.  They said you had to dream. 

There was something I was missing.  Almost no one over 40 liked the idea -  I know those people.  I'm not so in touch with millennials.   Many of them like it.  Young people like the idea of street cars.  It's retro.  It saves on energy.  It's cute.  It's convenient if you live in town.  

Okay.  And why should we do what the snot nosed kids want?  Cincinnati's businesses are in a fight with other communities for talented millennials.  They need new blood.  They need young college graduates.  They need young entrepreneurs.  So does Columbus; so does Louisville;  so does Indianapolis not to mention Chicago and New York City.  

I was shocked to hear recently that there are condos going for $1 million in Over-the-Rhine.   Times are changing.  Step aside old farts.  Let the kids ride their streetcars.  
*o*

No comments: