RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/14/2016

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, there was a string of homicides in the Cincinnati area that had my mother very upset.  They were done by home invasion and the victims were housewives.  As I remember it, the newspaper thought it could be a meter reader.

You see, back then, we had three meter reading persons enter our house at various times each month to read our meters; water, gas and electric.  Each of these meters was in the basement.  The reader came in our back door and proceeded on his own down the stairs to get to the meters.  We had a key 'hidden' outside for him, so he let himself in and out.  He would yell, "meter reader" as he came in.

I can't remember how this shook out.   I think it was a meter reader they caught.  Anyway, it changed how we and most people handled the meter readers.  It also pushed the utility companies to start putting meters outside the house.
o) o)

No comments: