RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

11/25/2016

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, the whisper disease was VD; yes, venereal disease.  Those were letters you didn't say in full throat.  You whispered them.  Not so much any more!

The word venereal has as its root:  'Venus', the goddess of love in ancient Rome.  Thus, VD was any disease that was contracted while making love.

Over the years in our enlightened society, it became apparent to all that not all sexual contact can be described as making love.  So, the 'doctor wordsmiths' changed the name to STD; sexually transmitted disease.  This was more encompassing and befitting a society that was openly aware of all kinds of sexually aberrant behavior.  You don't have to whisper STD.

Now, I understand, the 'doctor wordsmiths' are searching for a new moniker for this set of diseases that date to ancient times.  Doctors now know that you can contract some of these diseases without any sexual contact.   People have been claiming that for years but no one believed them.  You know, "I caught it off of the public toilet."  "My dentist gave it to me"  "I shared a needle."

My suggestion is we give this group of diseases this special new name:  WTFIDKLMAOBCURF.
What do you think?
o) o)

No comments: