RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/09/2016

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, no one, well, almost no one, wore facial hair.  I'm talking about the 1950's.  My recollection of the transition from then to now goes like this.

In the late 1950's, Elvis came onto the scene.  He wore his hair a little long for the times and wore his sideburns a little longer than normal.  This started a trend.  The Beatles hit the scene in the early 1960's, with moppy hair and sideburns.  The late 1960's brought us the first flower children. With them came loose fitting clothes and long scraggly hair.

The 1970 World Champion Oakland A's baseball team started wearing mustaches.  That spread across the league except in New York and Cincinnati (the owners forbid it).  The 1970's were full of adults complaining that you couldn't tell a boy from a girl any more.

Nothing drastic happened about 1990 when the bald look started to be accepted.  Ten or 15 years later, guys started adopting the unshaven look.

Me?  I went mostly bald about 1970.  Three daughters will do that to you.  I've been wearing a facial hair for about ten years.  It makes me look soooo young.

O_O

No comments: