RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/12/2017

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid and just learning to drive a car, it was common to only have a single traffic signal at an intersection.  My guess is that about 1960 it either became law or just became a standard to have a minimum of two or three lights.  With only one light, you might not see it if you were traveling behind a truck.

When we only had one traffic light, it was set on a pole at the right of the intersection.  Some were hard to locate if you weren't familiar with the area.  I remember that some rural areas had the red light on the bottom and green on top.  Thank goodness everyone got together.

The U.S. is a very orderly society.  The great majority of people obey the laws even when they don't have to.  We also love our automobiles.  I guess the day of the self-driving car is coming but I would be one to resist it.  Driving is fun.
🚘🚗

No comments: