RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/06/2018

LENTEN THOUGHT

Having been brought up in a strict Christian household, I was introduced to the concept of self-deprivation early-on during Lent.   We gave up candy or soft drinks or another treat for the duration. We knew we didn't have to do that but we did.  It was a lesson in discipline - self control.  It was a learning experience that we could relate to later when bad choices were at our fingertips.

I was wondering the other day, when, if ever, that concept is brought to today's youth.  I'm not sure.  Of course, good parents set limits - hopefully that caries over to setting your own limits.  I would guess, it gets introduced to older kids who participate in an advanced sports program. I just can't picture where the average American pre-teen learns this valuable lesson.  The amount of obesity and drug over-dose cases I hear about tell me that it is not as prevalent as I would hope.   

😑                

No comments: