RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/16/2018

INTERFAITH WISDOM

Babatunde Olatunji was a Nigerian musician (a drummer), writer, educator and social activist.  He was educated in the U.S. on a Rotary Club scholarship during the 1950s.  After college, he gained fame as a drummer and made numerous recordings.  He had stints with jazz bands and collaborated on recordings with many famous vocalists.  He had performances all over the world.  Later he was involved in writing movie and Broadway scores.  Eventually, he became a teacher of African music and dance. 

His friends called him Baba.  He died in 2,003.   He penned the following prayer.

I am one with my father and the universe
I am one with mother earth
I am one with everyone within reach of my voice
And, in this togetherness, we ask the divine intelligence
to eradicate all negatives from our hearts, 
from our words, and from our actions.
And, so be it.  
🤝

No comments: