RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/05/2018

ROOTS


The following poignant Latin inscription can be read on the tomb of Patrick Lysaght (1656-1741) at Kilfenora: 

Non quemaquam defraudavi, me saepe fefelli Et Marti et Baccho saepe tributa dedi

Translation:

I have defrauded no one, I have often deceived myself, and I have often paid tribute to Mars and to Bacchus.


Kilfenora is a small village in County Clare near the west coast of Ireland and not far from Ennistymon where we know some our Lysaghts lived.  It is the gateway to the Burren.  The city has a great musical and dancing tradition and is the home of the famous Ceili Band. 

In Roman tradition, Mars was the god of war and Bacchus was the god of food and wine.  When he said he paid tribute to Mars and Bacchus, I’m sure he meant that he spent a lot of time eating and drinking in pubs and was in a lot of bar fights. 

Surely, part of the family.
🍀

No comments: