RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

2/15/2019

COASTS

Florida has a long coast line.  So long, that the locals had to divide it up into ten different coasts.  Starting in the panhandle, we have the Emerald Coast; long beautiful beaches on the Gulf of Mexico. 

There is the Nature Coast on the Gulf side and the Sun Coast in the Tampa area and the Cultural Coast below that.  And finally, the Lee Island Coast on the southern most side by the Gulf.  The big lee island is Marco.

On the Atlantic side of Florida, they have the First Coast;  maybe I should have started there - around Jacksonville.  Below that is the Space Coast in honor of the NASA operations. Next comes the Treasure Coast midway down the Atlantic Side.  That's where I go all the time because one of my great treasures lives there. Finally, there is the Gold Coast running down to Miami Beach. 

Wait, were you counting?  I only named nine coasts.  Which one did I forget?  Of course, the Forgotten Coast.  This is the coast surrounding Apalachicola.  I never heard of it either.  I suppose they have an inferiority complex.  It sits between the Emerald Coast and the Nature Coast up on the panhandle.

The only area that doesn't have a designated coast in Florida is the Keys.  I that's because they have no land only coast.  It's a beautiful place to visit. 


Image result for florida

No comments: