RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/21/2019

THIS N THAT

At the turn of the century, many states in our country employed what was commonly called a "Poison Squad."  Food processors were putting all kinds of junk in processed food to stretch it.  These 'Squads' were the testers.  If they got sick (or worse), the food was rejected and couldn't be sold.  Each state was supposed to control processors but did a rather poor job of it.  I suppose it was difficult to keep good employees for the Poison Squads.  As a result, in 1906 the Congress of the United States passed the Pure Food and Drug Act.  This act led to the establishment of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).  We now eat with some confidence that . . . do we?

Image result for fda logo

On September 17, 1894, an elephant charged and derailed a passenger train in Malaysia.  The elephant was defending a herd which was crossing the tracks.  Two people and one elephant died.  Even animals can act with nobility.
Image result for elephant

One country in Africa was formed by freed American slaves.  They called it Liberia - land of liberty.  Note the similarity between their flag and ours.
Image result for liberia flag

When bad luck seems to befall you, don't get bitter - get better at whatever you were doing.
😡

"Help me!  I'm talking and I can't stop."  "Help me!  I'm eating and I can't stop."  You would think I couldn't do both - - - but, truth be told, . . .
😩

No comments: