RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/25/2023

THE LOCUST PLAGUE

 I don't get out tromping around in the open fields like I did when I was very young. (Well, except on the golf course, of course.  On the golf course, I get to see all sorts of habitat; manicured green grass, thick grasses, clumps of trees, woods, sandy areas and even streams or lakes.)  Back to the subject at hand, I can't remember seeing a grasshopper this year.  

Where I grew up, there were grasshoppers everywhere.  We used to catch them; small green ones and large brown ones.   Some spit tobacco - or maybe, they just puked on us.   It was a boy thing to do.

Well, where did they all go?  Did you see any this year?  I'm sure they serve some kind of important service to the environment and the balance of nature.  What the heck has happened?  

Are we killing so many weeds and insects that the common grasshopper can't survive any more?  It seems like the world is being sanitized; cleansed, if you will.  I'm sure everything we do to our lawns, plants and trees is not for the better; much less, the best. 

I can foresee a day when we (not me, I'm too old) will all live in a bubble.  How sad.


No comments: