RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/06/2023

MUSIC???

 Here is something I ran across this week.  It is a list of the top 100 songs of 2023.  It was put out by something called Pitchfork.  I assume it is the equivalent of Billboard in my day.  If you're into the current music scene, you may wonder why I'm making a big deal of this.  If you're like me, you're confused.

#10  "Making the Band (Danity Kane)"  by Earl Sweatshirt

#9  "Rush" by Troye Sivan

#8  "Chosen to Deserve" by Wednesday

#7  "Super Shy" by NewJeans

#6  "Kill Bill"  by SZA

#5  "get him back"  by Olivia Rodrigo

#4  "Namesake" by Noname

#3  "Will anybody Ever Love Me?" by Sufjan Stevens

#2  "Boy's a liar Pt 2" by PinkPantheress/Ice Spice

#1  "A&W" by Lana Del Rey

No, I've never heard of any of these songs and, not sure, but maybe only one of the artists.  I listened to the #1 song.  Ms Del Rey is a person I could listen to again.  She has a soft voice in the style of an olden-day lounge singer with a big range.  She sings over an unplugged guitar with a bit of echo inserted here and there.  I liked the sound.

I thought her song, "A&W", was going to be about a root beer stand but, alas, I found out she sang about being an "American Whore".  She mixes in cocao puffs with "you're fucking up big time" to close the song.  When I went to a prom in high school, they would often make the theme after a song-of-the-year winner - like "Moon River" or "More" (than the greatest love the world has known).  Will they do that this year?

I spent my formative years listening to radio - you know; Top 40, Casey Kasem and all that.  Today, I would hate to think my kids were listening.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad! This is hilarious!