RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

2/28/2024

HOW'S YOUR TOMATO

 Because I'm a novice at grocery shopping and cooking, I'm often amazed or at least amused by things I discover.  One of those things are tomatoes.  

Of course, I've been aware for years that tomato growers have a laundry list of standard and heirloom varieties to choose from.  I once grew some "Black Russians" - they were strange looking but tasted very good.  

What I'm shocked about is all the different kinds you can get at the store and all the different ways they are presented.  I had no idea.  Too many options is a problem for me.  I have a very hard time making a selection.

Here's a few of what I've found:  they have Roma and Beefsteak, tomatoes on the vine, grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, even red and green tomatoes.  That's nothing!  You can get any of these in various sizes.  What for?

Check out the canned products.  What do you do with all these tomatoes in cans?  Whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato puree, and if your tomato falls apart, you can put it back together with tomato paste.  

These tomato salesmen have really done a great job pushing their product.  The next thing you know they'll be selling tomato juice to mix with vodka or clean your stinky pet.  Amazing!


ps.  The word KETCHUP comes from the Far East and originally referred to a "fish sauce".  We, of course, assume it is always made out of tomatoes.  

No comments: