RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/24/2024

WORDS

 You know I love words.  I found some that are all new to me.  A British guy wrote a book in 1909 that recorded slang from that era and before.  It's a treasure.   I could guess some of these but not many until explained.  See if you can guess what they mean. 

Mutton shunter.  Noun - a policeman.

Gigglemug.  Noun - Someone who smiles all the time. 

Fly rink.  Noun - a polished bald head.

Juggins-hunting  Verb - Looking for someone to buy a drink for you.

Sauce-box.  Noun - Mouth

Bags O' Mystery    Noun - Sausages

Arf'arf'an'arf    Adjective - Drunk

Gas pipes   Noun - Trousers which are too tight

Pumblechook   Noun - Asshole, jerk

Row-de-row   Noun - Fight or Riot

Now, see if you can work one of these into a conversation this week.  Please don't refer my fly rink.  

No comments: