RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

9/14/2024

NEWS OF THE WEEK

 I must start with the "disappointment in orange."  Hide all sharp objects.  Why, oh why do I love sports?  The 'highs' are so high but the 'lows' are so low.  It can't be good for you.  That debacle followed a day after the Bearcats blew a 21-point lead in the 4th quarter.  I'm not sure which scenario is worse.  

Let's change sports.  The US Open Tennis tournament was exciting.  As usual, many seeded players were upset early.  When that happened in Mason, one of my friends remarked that they weren't trying because they were saving it for New York.  Na, Baby, Na.  There are just a lot of good players shooting for the same prize - that happens.  An Italian Sinner won the men's side.  Don't let that get around. A pretty lady from Belarus with a whole lot of letters in her name won the women's singles crown. Each of the winners defeated an American.  

The Reds did their thing by sweeping the Atlanta Braves.  Our boys can't beat the lousy teams but handle to best.  It doesn't make sense.  Our two top pitchers right now are named Nick Martinez and Rhett Lowder.  No, you never heard of them.  It's crazy.  Oh yeah, our reliever, Alexis Diaz, is number five in saves in the league.  That's hard to do on a losing team.  What's up with that?

The contestants for the Presidency had a debate the other night.  Each side says they won.  The scorekeeping in these things is real bad.  I missed the spectacle completely - Oh poop!. They shouldn't schedule these events opposite Walking Dead reruns.

SpaceX did it again.  They have sent four novices into deep space orbit and had two of them exit their capsule to test the new space suits.  Of course, stage one of the rocket returned to Earth to be used again.  Always pray for our brave astronauts.  

Thursday, I stepped into the gym for the first time in six months.  The day before I had a kind of physical and was reminded that my weight is going up much faster than my age.  My gym experience was better than I expected.  I did skip the cardio portion of what I usually do and I stopped at Walgreens on the way home and bought some Advil...just in case.

The 911 anniversary brought back memories for everyone over the age of 30.   If it didn't, get yourself checked for dementia.  

Also on September 11, this time in 1985, Peter Edward Rose broke and set the all-time hit record for major league baseball.  It was done at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati.  Marge Schott hugged him.






No comments: