Translate

RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

7/28/2026

WHAT'S NEXT

Last week, on Tuesday, I delved into the "What's Next" question and today I'll take it further. 

This time I'll refer you to Luke's Gospel verse 20, starting on line 27.  Go ahead, get out your Bible.  I'll paraphrase it.  In brief, the Sadducees, asked Jesus about the woman whose husband died and she remarried.  In the afterlife, they asked, whose wife would she be.  

Here was Jesus answer.  "The men and women of this age marry but the men and women who are worthy to rise from death and live in the age to come will not then marry.  The will be like angels and cannot die.  They are the sons of God, because they have risen from death."

From this I take that all human relationships will be null and void.  So great will our focus be on God that we will not even consider past or future relationships.  I'm sure this goes against what most people think and what many hope for.  It gives humans a great feeling to think that they will be re-united in some kind of bond with friends and relatives after death. Many believe, hope and pray for it.  

I'm not so sure.  Of course, I don't know but my thinking, at this point, is that human relationships are not what the afterlife is about.  

Further, the Sadducees were a group of Jewish priests and teachers who didn't believe in anything except what was written in Jewish law (including the afterlife and angels).  Jesus rebuked them saying that even though God was the God of the living not of the dead, as far as He's concerned, ALL are living.     

No comments: