RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/07/2008

SOFTBALL

No game this week. Time to rest the weary bones. My hips, knees and ankles are still a little ouchy. I'm pretty sure I have a touch of osteoarthritis (OA). This is commonly known as "wear and tear" arthritis though that is a misnomer. If I could lose the weight I put on since I stopped smoking, I would feel a lot better.

Don't feel sorry for me. I wouldn't think of going to the doctor for it. It is estimated that OA accounts for 25% of all primary care doctor visits. Prescriptions for the treatment of OA account for 50% of all non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs sold. It is also estimated that 80% of the population at age 65 would show radiographic signs of OA although only 60% have symptoms.

Its 'hell' to get old. Yes, you gotta be tough to survive old age.

No comments: