RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/14/2011

A WORD TO THE WISE

I learn new things every day.  Some of these things shock me because the answer should have been obvious.  Often, I say to myself, "Why didn't I think of that sooner?"  Here's one.

I've been icing my Achilles tendon each night for the past several weeks. Ice is very good for healing aches and pains.  It forces the blood to leave the area, numbs pain and slows down infections.  When you take the ice away, blood rushes in carrying healing antidotes.  Ice for twenty minutes at most and then allow to warm for forty minutes before icing again. 

I've tried ice in a towel, frozen vegetable bags and ice in an ice bag.  Here's what I discovered...don't laugh if you knew this.  The best deal is ice water in an ice bag.  Fill the bag half full of water and then fill with ice.  You see, ice alone leaves air gaps in the bag.  One piece of ice may contact part of the sore area but not all.  When you use ice water, the contact point is spread out.  You get the coldness to the whole area.  You've seen the ice baths that athletes use.  They're never filled with just ice...they are filled with ice and water. 

Alright, go out there and stay active; pull a muscle or two.  It's the best thing for you.
:-)

No comments: