RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/03/2015

INVASION

Our country was invaded in the 17th century.  I'm not talking about the English or the Spanish settlers.  No, not the Pilgrims in 1620.  I'm talking about lumbricidea - that's earthworms in common-speak.

It seems the land covering the northern part of the U.S. and Canada was pretty much without earthworms until the settlers brought them from Europe.  Who knew?   The little devils are invasive creatures.

Earthworms are industrious workers.  They eat decaying matter in the soil like leaves and other vegetation. In our forests that became a problem for some trees that liked that vegetation in the soil.  Some species of trees that were here when the Pilgrims came are here no longer.

On the other hand, bait stores started popping up everywhere.  Some fish think worms are a delicacy.

The mole population, they love to eat earthworms, has exploded. It's this problem that has me upset.  Those stinking moles are chasing earthworms all over my yard.  The war is on.  If you hear an explosion in West Chester, it may be that a mole hit one the land mines I'm going to insert in the soil.  I'll never forgive the English for giving me worms.
0.0

PS.  Happy Birthday Frank - one of my three favorite sons-in-law.

No comments: