RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/17/2018

WEEKEND LITURGY

Typically, on Saturdays, I write about Bible verses to be read at Catholic mass on the weekend.  Today, I'm diverging to my patron:  Saint Patrick.  Today is his day and it marks the end of Winter for me.  It was the end of "winter" for the Irish when Patrick brought the story of Christ to them. 

We celebrate this day. That's not a bad thing.  Celebration is good.  Many get drunker than snot.  That's okay too.  Just don't run into me on the roadway. 

You know there are no snakes in Ireland . . . unless you drink too much.  Then you might start seeing all kinds of strange and evil things.  Patrick brought Christian religion to Ireland and told them of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  The Irish have been concentrating on the 'spirits' end of the message for a long time. 

Patrick baptized the Irish with water.  The English word 'whiskey' is an Anglicisation of the first word of the Gaelic phrase 'uisce beatha' which translates to 'water of life'.   Do you see where I'm going with this?  Have a Jameson and it will all come clear.  I wish you a great celebration today . . . be safe.
🍹



No comments: