RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

8/10/2018

THIS AND THAT AND THAT AND THIS

Friday is a non-work day in many Muslim countries.  According to Islam it is a special day of prayer.  A day of rest and of prayer . . . Christians observe Sunday and Jews Saturday. 

Some countries of the world consider Monday the first day of the week, some Sunday,  some Saturday and some Friday.  I'm told Thursday and Friday are the weekend in Iran.  How is this world ever going to get along if we can't even agree on which day of the week comes first?

Remember this, in the ages before clocks, the days of the week were considered from sunset to sunset . . . instead of midnight to midnight.  Many religions still use that standard.



  • I saw a bumper sticker earlier this week that read:

GO REDS . . .
. . . and take the Bengals with you!

  • not sure if the game last night changed their mind.



Spelling will soon be a lost art.  I see so many foreshortened words in social media that it makes my head spin.  Even more, how do we keep up with all the abbreviations and acronyms?  Luckily for me, and you, we can find out what most of them mean by just putting the letters in your search program.  For instance, I was thrown by this category I found on Reddit:  ELIF.   Turns out that it means "Explain Like I'm Five."   That's exactly what I needed - I felt like I was five and all the six year-olds already knew what it meant and were laughing at me.  It's not easy being old.

 Enough for today.   All you non-spellers:  I wish you ha penis.
😉

No comments: