RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/24/2018

INTERFAITH WISDOM

In Judaism, the name of God or Lord and those from scripture like Yahweh or Eloah are too holy, too special to be written in any context except their liturgy.  These names should never be erased. Because of this, you might see written in casual information G-d or L-d.  The full names are too holy to be erased so they are never written.  As a substitute, there are other names that can be used.  For instance, in the Jewish prayer that follows, God is referred to as HaShem.  It's strict translation is "the name".  Enjoy this prayer, attributed to David, it is an act of faith.

Incline thine ear, O HaShem, and answer me; for I am poor and needy.  Keep my soul, for I am godly; O Thou my God, save Thy servant that trusteth in Thee.  Be gracious unto me O Lord; for unto Thee do I cry all day.  Rejoice the soul of Thy servant; for unto Thee O Lord do I lift up my soul.  For Thou, Lord, art good, and ready to pardon, and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon Thee.  Give ear, O HaShem, unto my prayer, and attend unto the voice of my supplications.  In the day of my trouble, I call upon Thee; for Thou wilt answer me. 




No comments: