RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/22/2022

MIDWEEK PRAYER

 There are a few stark differences between the Catholic Church and most other Christian denominations.  One obvious one is our devotion to Jesus' mother Mary, to Joseph and to all the Saints.  Not many others pray to and ask these saints to pray for us.  

Another noticeable difference is our devotion in prayer to special parts of Jesus and Mary.  That doesn't sound quite right but it is.  We pray and give homage to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Immaculate Heart of Mary and, of course, the Precious Blood of Christ.  This Friday, the Church will solemnly celebrate the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.  

A beating heart is the sign of life.  In popular culture, the heart is also the font of love.  True love comes from the heart.  We are want to say, "I love you with all my heart."  We often call our beloved, "Sweetheart."  A heart is the sign of love.

Well, God is love.  He expressed His love by giving us his Son.  The Son expressed His love by suffering and dying for us.  His death may have ended the beating of His human heart but He lives on in the Spirit.  Here is a prayer directed to the Heart of Jesus.


  Oh Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 
fountain of every blessing,
I adore you, I love you,
and with true sorrow for my sins,
I offer you this poor heart of mine.
Make me humble, patient, 
pure, and wholly obedient to your will.
Grant that I may live in you and for you, 
and that my heart may be home for you in me.
Amen



No comments: