RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

9/13/2022

QUOTES

 Maybe I've spent a bit too much time quoting historical, political, and scientific news-makers.  Now for a guy who greatly effected how a whole generation of children were raised in America.  Here are the words of Benjamin Spock -  a doctor and self-proclaimed child care guru.  If you're in my generation or the one  younger than me, your parents probably took his works as gospel.  Nothing too controversial here.

"I really learned it all from mothers."

"Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do."

"Don't take seriously all that the neighbors say.  Don't be overawed by what the experts say.  Don't be afraid to trust your own common sense."

"The fact is that child rearing is a long, hard job; the rewards are not always immediately obvious; the work is undervalued, and parents are just as human and almost as vulnerable as their children."

"People have said that you have turned your back on pediatrics.  I said, No, it took me until my 60's to realize that politics was a part of pediatrics."

"In automobile terms, the child supplies the power but the parents have to do the steering."

"I no longer recommend dairy products after the age of two years . . . "

"We now know that there are harmful effects of a meaty diet, particularly changes in the arteries and weight problems, and that these changes begin in childhood."

"As parents and teachers, we need to bring up more of our children with generosity of spirit."  

👶    


No comments: