RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

7/26/2020

CINCINNATI

Among the long lost diamonds in the Queen City's crown is a motel (cough, cough).  It was called the El Rancho Rankin.  We used to pass it when I was a kid and traveled to my aunt's house in Mt. Washington.  It had an allure of grandeur for a young person, if that is possible for a motel.  

It was situated on the St Route 32 at the Beechmont Levee near and on the flight path to Lunkin Airport.  It was built by William Rankin Harrison in the early 1940's and was replaced by a shopping plaza in the 1990's which has now failed.  He was known as Colonel Rankin - you see, this eccentric was an Ohio Colonel.   The motel thrived just after World War II even though most air traffic was moved to CVG before 1950.

By now, you must be asking yourself why this crazy guy is writing about an old motel long since destroyed.  Well, here's the scoop.

I was married on June 18, 1966.  At the time, I was in the Army and stationed in Maryland with orders to leave for Vietnam in August.  I was able to get away from base June 17 to June 22.   The last night of my honeymoon, my bride and I came back from Columbus to Cincinnati looking for a place to stay.  I picked the El Rancho Rankin.  We got a room with leopard skin print bedding and attended the Reds v Pirates game at Crosley Field. (Reds won 11-8).  The next day I flew back to the Army.   Now you know.



Long ago replaced by a failed shopping plaza, the El Rancho Rankin Motel still fascinates Tristate residents. It was built by William Rankin Harrison, a colonel in the Honorable Order of Ohio Colonels, an organization of his founding. H...It was Cincinnati's most dubious landmark.  It sported garish neon signs and a tacky statue of a stallion out front.  It's owner loved to live large and called himself an "Ohio Colonel."  Jonathan ...

No comments: